Thursday, December 08, 2011

Honey Pot

There may be a honey pot at the end of the Chinese rainbow. My recent return from a trip of discovery to southern China, including Hong Kong, has presented me with a stack of newspapers my neighbour collected in my absence. Browsing through them, two China related articles caught my eye, one dated at the start of my trip, the other just days ago. In September Conservative MP Bob Dechert, parliamentary secretary to Canada’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, was outed for his “friendship” with a female journalist at Xinhua, the Chinese state news agency. Now in December a former Canadian diplomat warned at a high level conference that China more than any other nation entraps foreign diplomats, politicians, scientists and businessmen with honey pot sexual encounters. Blackmail for information, what is new under the sun? The Chinese peruse social network sites and visa applications sifting for potential victims. Too bad I don’t have state secrets to sell!