Thursday, October 05, 2006

They All Look Alike

I'm not much of a ladies man, not a prominent surgeon. Neither am I a Communist which if I were would invite instant pariah status. Nor am I known to at least a quarter of the world's population. Nonetheless for the fourth time since greeting guests at Bethune Memorial House visitors have suggested I look like long dead Norman Bethune. All have been Asian so to me it smacks of "they all look alike," which of course is utterly incorrect. The variety of faces in China is one of its endearing features, forgive the pun. A portrait of our hero (26th greatest Canadian remember) hangs in the visitor center lobby. I am willing myself to look more like him by the day since he was a handsome old dog in a Peter Mansbridge sort of way. The twice married, twice divorced, ask a third time (all to Frances his Scottish mate), well that part I will skip. I have now guided about 100 people through the premises. Soon I will be able to download photos to my blog which will allow you to see where I work. Each is worth a thousand and one words, to coin a new saying. My place on the lakeside? Really neat. The night I moved in deer ran off the property as I arrived. Chipmunks squealed, whether in delight or not who knows. Ducks dive just below the picture window. Herons fly by. Bears go through the garbage apparently. Think I might invest in a flashlight, always good to fend off 400 pounds of carnivore. Wild turkeys abound just around the corner. Steamers navigate the nearby lake narrows on a regular basis. Too bad the sailing season ends in a few days. To-day I have to uncover my phones and bedding buried in the storage unit. Wish me luck!