Friday, September 15, 2006

Bethune Blast

This week has been a blast. First Day, Sunday, 10th September was Myron's 75th birthday at the National Press Club with assorted guests numbering near 70 and a fine lunch. Myron's patronage has helped to keep the club afloat since it is tottering on the brink. Not enough budding journalists I guess. Monday was well, 9/11, say no more other than that it also marked my departure from Ottawa to greener pastures so to speak. I flitted from one cottage to another, 420 km apart. Tuesday was my first day as Communications Officer at Bethune House National Historic Site. Staff are going to be fun. Already I have received a gift from Chinese visitors for holding doors, coats, smiling in perfunctory photos or just being an amiable appendage at the site of their pilgrimage. I am learning Norman's life with the eye to having interpretation (guiding) as one of my roles. My office meantime is in the 1880 home, hope it is not haunted. I have not yet set the alarm off unwittingly but that day must surely come. Wednesday, a year to the day since I returned to North America from the Middle Kingdom. My furniture is delivered on a rainy day. Driver is late since they slept in after driving until 2 am. They did a good job so tipped them, who said I was Scottish? Three weeks after I walked through Alexis Nihon Mall, adjoining Dawson College, Montreal, wouldn't you know a shooting rampage breaks out. Two dead (shooter included), eight critical amongst 19 injured. Thursday, ho hum only three of us on staff to-day since others off with a heavy week-end in prospect. After work I took an evening jaunt to check out possible residence for winter. Bala, 20 km up the road, has lakeside charm. Listened intently to owl hooting in woods by cottage. Friday, jeepers I'm the only one running the place to-day. Long lunch allows me to answer ad and line up a winter residence on the lake. Wait till I post the million dollar view!