Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Puesta del Sol

In two minds as to what to entitle this entry. Since I intend to move on to Guadalajara to-morrow this will be my last sunset on the beach for the immediate future. Could have called this post Tacos Surf or Ajedrez (Chess) though. By the way Guerrero fell to the candidate of the left. Only one administrator almost beaten to death on the day, relatively calm considering the lead up. My hotel has been on the beach but I have to say I have often been in a town centre at the setting of the sun, which it does every day here (thats for the Brits who dont see that orange disk at this time of year). The other day I was in the pool at sundown. Other guests were surprised to see me swimming as it got dark, thinking the water to be too cold. I was tempted to say it was warmer then than at midday but thought I was too unconvincing to give a physics lesson about relative air and water temperatures and the time of day. In the morning though the pool is cool. So news of the day yesterday was the house fire in Barra de Navidad which blackened an otherwise perfectly blue sky. Big event in a small place. I spotted it from a long way off while waiting for the launch to come get me. The ten minute ride usually whisks by since the owner is a speed merchant. However this time there was a real bonus. First we had to go get gas. Then a taxi service pick up amongst the sail yachts. Turned out to be a catamaran and on the edge of the flotilla. Took us a while since we took the wrong street so to speak (boats dont have addresses but they are somewhat aligned). Then another stop for new arrivals to get gas and finally in to the ritzy marina where the multimillion dollar yachts berth. No sails there I'll tell you. Here we collected staff from the Grand Bay resort, the other side of the tracks (read lagoon) from we the people (plebs). What do you know but that the joker who scared away the birds with his golf cart antics at the course was now the amiable guy we had to wait for as he scurried around to finish some tasks before he could catch his ride home. Altogether the ten minute ride was spun out to over half an hour, for ten pesos (less then a dollar). Next post - Chess - remember the Spanish word? Be there or be square.