Sunday, May 10, 2009

Trillium

Yesterday 25 degrees, to-day 10. Spring is here but temperatures are up and down like a yo-yo. The rains come and they go and there sure is a lot of standing water in the woods round about. Mosquitoes shall breed there in their droves this year. The Waterway may not open to boats as scheduled this week, water levels are so high. To-night I fear frost so the plants are all inside. Earlier under a blue sky I went in quest of an icon of the season, the Trillium, Ontario's official flower. They are abundant. While on my bicycle quest I saw a wild turkey fly into a tree which surprised me since I had always thought they were ground lubbers. Then I went near the railway track right of way and thought I was going to get arrested some minutes later when the cops came by. In two years I have never seen them in that vicinity. As I progressed I stopped on a bridge to watch fishermen below. Lo and behold a school of fish went by (perch probably) and from my perch I could see them approaching hooks and their demise. But they all swam non-chalantly by, no bites, to live another day. So I am going across a level crossing and I spot a turkey vulture eating a porcupine between the tracks not far from me. As I get my camera out a hawk lands on the telegraph pole beside me and another bird of prey flies just above. What a menagerie. May, seems like a good time to upload a photo of Paris.